Still keeping the man (or men) down. You can’t argue too much now about Oregon and Auburn being number one and two, respectively. But TCU closed that gap with a big win at Utah on Saturday and Boise State kept pace with the group by winning big against Hawai’i.
The problem is LSU is sitting at number 5 and should/will overtake both TCU and BSU if they win out. That is the issue with the BCS and why we have a Bowl Playoff System. Here is this week’s installment.
*Conference winners in bold, BCS rankings in parentheses
1. (1) Oregon (Pac-10) – The Ducks have been so good, that a 37 point win at home against Washington didn’t look all that great
2. (2) Auburn (SEC) - Auburn basically had a bye week against Chattanooga
3. (3) TCU (Mountain West) - TCU silenced some doubters by absolutely shellacking Utah 47-7
4. (4) Boise State (WAC) - The Broncos rolled up Hawaii 42-7, but are now firmly behind TCU for the third spot
5. (5) LSU – A great home win over Bama keeps the Tigers in the hunt
6. (6) Stanford – The Cardinal look awfully dangerous after soundly beating Arizona, with their sole loss coming at the hands of Oregon
7. (7) Wisconsin (Big Ten) - The Badgers are having another great year and are in contention for the Big Ten crown and a possible Rose Bowl appearance
8. (8) Nebraska (Big 12) – Nebraska should have lost to an improved Cyclone team but got away with a win
9. (9) Ohio State – Bye
10. (10) Oklahoma State – OK State rolled up Baylor and still have a shot at the Big 12
11. (11) Michigan State – The Spartans beat up the hapless Gophers and are having one of their best years ever
12. (20) Virginia Tech (ACC) – The Hokies keep on winning, this week by a touch over Georgia Tech
13. (N/A) Pittsburgh (Big East) – The only unbeaten team in a bad conference
14. (N/A) UCF (C-USA) – UCF proved themselves this past week winning at Houston
15. (N/A) Northern Illinois/Toledo (MAC) – These two have a huge showdown this week
16. (N/A) Troy (Sun Belt) – Troy continues to control their own destiny in the Sun Belt
On the Outside Looking in:
17. (12) Alabama. No problem keeping them out with 2 losses.
18. (13) Iowa. A 18-13 win over a bad Indiana team didn’t help their chances at all.
19. (14) Utah. That’s what happens when you get blown out at home.
20. (15) Arkansas. The only team on this list that could matchup well in the BPS.
21. (16) Oklahoma. Too up and down to keep them in the conversation.